While there are some areas where Christians agree to disagree [Romans 14:1-15; 2 Timothy 2:23-24; Titus 3:9], the Bible makes clear that certain truths are essential convictions of the Christian faith. Resonate considers these truths to be the following:
1. The Bible (all the books of the Old and New Testaments) is the true written message of God to us. We believe the authors were inspired by God and therefore the Bible is completely trustworthy. The Bible is the final authority on all matters to which it speaks.
2. There is one God, who exists forever in perfect community as three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
[Genesis 1:26-27; Deuteronomy 6:4; Colossians 1:15-17; Hebrews 1:8]
3. Jesus Christ is fully man and fully God. He is the perfect reflection of God’s character and glory. He lived a sinless life and died on the cross, becoming the perfect sacrifice for the sins of all people. All who believe in Him are declared righteous on the basis of His death, and are now treated as if we had lived Christ’s life. He rose physically from the dead and will return again to earth to reign forever with those who are His.
[Matthew 1:18-25; John 1:14, 8:40,58, 11:33; Acts 1:9-11; Romans 5:8-10; Colossians 1:15-17; Hebrews 1:8]
4. Humans are created in the image of God but each one has fallen short of God’s perfect standard and is in need of salvation.
[Genesis 1:26; Romans 3, 5:12-19; Ephesians 2:1-3, 4:18-19]
5. Salvation from our sinful condition is a free gift from God to us. It is not something we earn or deserve. It is offered in grace and received by faith in Jesus Christ alone. Those who believe in Jesus Christ and call on His name are made right with God and given eternal life.
[John 3:16, 14:6; Romans 3:28, 8:31-39; 1 Corinthians 12:13; Galatians 3:26-27; Ephesians 2:8-9; 1 Timothy 2:5-6]